If you have children and are pursuing a divorce in the Beloit area, it’s important to hire a Beloit Family Law attorney fully competent in all topics of Family Law.
There are six general topics of Family Law:
- Custody—the guardianship of the child or children.
- Child Support—court ordered payments, typically made by the noncustodial parent, to support a minor child or children.
- Placement (formerly Visitation)—court ordered schedule of the times when children are to be with each parent.
- Maintenance (formerly Alimony or Spousal Support)—recurring payments meant to preserve the standard of living of a former spouse and children.
- Property Division—division of marriage assets.
- Paternity—legal acknowledgement of fatherhood between a man and child.
It should come as no surprise then that Family Law is an area of practice requiring a deep knowledge of the differences between each general topic, as each topic has its own unique rules the court must follow in order to issue its ruling on each matter.